News on sports, clubs, and events at Oak Ridge High School.

Off the Oak

Off the Oak

Off the Oak

Upcoming Events

Teacher Shortages: Will this problem only get worse?

For the past couple of years “Hiring Teachers” signs have been posted everywhere- in the streets, on billboards, at grocery stores, the list goes on and on. Will this ever stop? 

This teacher shortage is threatening the education of students. They are not able to properly learn about subjects in school because there is no one to show them. Substitutes are coming in but essentially they are being thrown into a “lions dens” – no instructions are given to them about the class they are covering. 

The teacher shortage is throughout the country due to low salaries, high workloads and the continuation of “teacher burnout.” Depending on what grade level a teacher is teaching, there are even more negative factors. 

Let’s hear from students that have permanent subs at their school:

Bianca: I can’t learn anything all I do is sit in class, I have no clue if I will pass my EOC.

Mike: It’s chill since we don’t do anything, I just do other work from my other classes.

Isaac We didn’t do nothing I just went to sleep while all the kids acting like fools.

The students’ responses are the same – “I don’t do nothing in that class.” 

How Can The County Fix This Problem? 

The teacher shortage can be fixed by providing financial incentives, such as increasing salaries, loan forgiveness, and housing assistance. This can retain the teachers and gain teachers in the community. 

To address thai issue implementing strategies such as target recruit efforts, professional development opportunities and support systems for teachers.

In conclusion, the teacher shortage impacts the quality of education provided to the students but also undermines their academic and personal growth throughout their school journey. The community can work together ensuring the need to succeed academically and beyond.