News on sports, clubs, and events at Oak Ridge High School.

Off the Oak

Off the Oak

Off the Oak

Upcoming Events

3DE’s 3rd Annual Market Expo

From the beginning of the school year, the 3DE juniors started their year-long project of starting their own business in preparation for Market Expo. Market Expo is an event in which student businesses are presented to judges, business workers, 3DE employees, and faculty and students at Oak Ridge. 

Throughout the days leading up to Market Expo, students went through lots of trials and errors – coming up with businesses that they believed would be successful, finding some would work while others would not. There were businesses like body care, gaming, bowling, jewelry, food and beverages, and more. Potential entrepreneurs began  with a business plan and worked through the financial aspects and began to design logos and flyers and finally a trifold that displays all these aspects for judges and onlookers to see. Students shared how the entire process went for them, business owners were asked to express what they experienced and what they did or did not enjoy about making their business, about their creative process and how they felt about winning. John Delice won second place in the Market Expo event with his mobile-bowling business “Strike City.” Delice stated, “ Being the most creative business added to the experience. I was able to build a connection with my teammates while painting our boards, constructing our alley, and making our tri-fold,” “The Market Expo event was very fun. Engaging with judges and customers was the highlight of the day. The judges seeing the full execution of our business showed us it was completely worth all of the work.”  

Now that Market Expo has ended, there are some businesses that are continuing to strive. Everywhere you turn, you see someone wearing an Aztec shirt which sold many custom-designed shirts. 

Market Expo winner Caribbean Cuisine are still selling delicious plates of Haitian food and have already booked a job to cater a school event. Manager Keilla Michaud states, “Market Expo has allowed my friends and I to get a real taste of how to run a business. We met with many business owners and provided many opportunities to get our business out there. We have many events coming up and I thank 3DE for a chance into the business world.” 3DE gave these students a chance to see how the working world is and teach them skills they can incorporate into their daily lives. From their freshman year to their senior year, 3DE students solve business problems, work with companies, and develop leadership skills that will help them with their future.